Our kindergarten has been part of the Richmond community for over 100 years.
Our philosophy is built on the development of strong relationships within the community we serve, particularly through a three-way partnership between children, their families and educators. We are proud that our parents describe Dame Nellie Melba Kindergarten as a “caring”, “supportive” and “community-minded” environment for their children and families.
Our team has strong links with local primary schools in the area and works to ensure smooth transitions to school for the four-year old groups. We also have strong connections with other local services such as Yarra Libraries who visit the kindergarten regularly with books for the children to enjoy and Melbourne Indigenous Transition School (MITS) whose students come to spend time in our 4-year-old kindergarten program. We are grateful to the many local businesses that support the kindergarten in many ways, particularly with our fundraising efforts.
We value community participation in our kindergarten, and encourage (and indeed expect) parents to get involved in this special time in your child’s development.
Children love having their parent, grandparent or special friend visit kindergarten. These visits enrich the program for all children! There are many ways to be involved, including:
- Fruit duty – a roster is on the sign-in table, pop your name down to participate
- Attending quarterly working bees
- Attending excursions
- Sharing an interest, passion or skill with the children – please speak to your teacher
- Volunteering as a class representative to be an important communication link between the kindergarten and parents
- Attending our social functions, including welcome BBQs, Annual Trivia night, Mother’s Day Dinner, Movie Night, Spring Fair and End of Year Concert
- Joining the parent-run committee
- Supporting our fundraising efforts by joining the events, social and fundraising sub-committee or sharing a fundraising idea! Through our fundraising efforts we have recently been able to purchase new children’s resources, chairs and tables and we are planning a new kitchen.